The level-crafting brilliance of Super Mario Maker 2 will soon be making its way to the Nintendo Switch and one of the most important things for us is how to play as Luigi, so here’s everything that you need to know. Firstly, there is a fairly significant limitation to be aware of in that you can only play as Mario when you go through the Story Mode rebuilding Peach’s castle, so Luigi isn’t even an option there.
However, when you’re creating, editing or playing in levels you can have Luigi as your main playable character to mix things up a little. It doesn’t change the way you play in the game, so you don’t need to worry about learning different move sets. However, if you prefer green to red, or you just get bored of Mario then you can bring in his taller brother pretty easily to play in Super Mario Maker 2 by following the steps below.
How to change character and play as Luigi
- To start with, you’ll need to be in Make Mode to change character.
- If you’re in Play Mode you can toggle on over to Make Mode by pressing the – button at the top of you’re left Joy Con controller.
- Bizarrely, you access the character selection screen from the Settings page, which you can get to from the Make Mode by pressing the + button at the top of the right Joy Con controller to bring up the Main Menu.
- From here, you need to navigate down to the little spanner icon at the bottom of the Main Menu screen. It’s in between the Bell notifications icon and the question mark help icon.
- Once you’re in the Settings page, you’ll be able to see the Character section at the top on the right. The first option will be M for Mario highlighted in yellow as selected by default. You can navigate to the second option L using the analogue control stick.
- Press X to select and play as Luigi.
- Lastly, click OK to confirm your selection and return to Make Mode or Play Mode to take Luigi for a spin in your course.
What other characters can you play as in Super Mario Maker 2?
In addition to being able to play as Luigi and Mario, you can also select one of the two other character selections in Super Mario Maker 2. The first of these is Toad, which you can see next to the L and then the last playable character is Toadette.
More Super Mario Maker 2 hints and tips
You can also see more tips for the game right here, including how to zoom out to View Mode, so that you can do some big scale editing with Luigi in tow. You can also see how to make big enemies. We’ll be creating a full Super Mario Maker 2 guide in the run-up to the release, so stay tuned for more tips.