Audiences at San Diego ComicCon 2017 were treated to the same early viewing of Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 as attendees at Disney’s D 23, and with the trailer doing the rounds online it’s definitely time to get excited about the third film in the series. The leaked trailer features plenty of the big-name cast members attached to the film, including the latest shots of Josh Brolin as inter-galactic superpower Thanos, so we’re expecting the official trailer to be released in the not too distant future. In the meantime, you can check out the production feature below to see how things are taking shape.
As the name would imply, Infinity War is going to be split into two films featuring the Infinity Stones and Thanos’ attempts to collect them all together as a part of his bid to rule the universe. However, there is a hell of a lot for it to fit in as it combines both the Guardians of the Galaxy with the Avengers, as well as featuring one of the greatest powers of evil in the universe. It’s going to be interesting to see how Disney and Marvel manage to bring it all together under one roof.
It’s being directed by Anthony and Joe Russo following on from the success of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Civil War. The cast list is literally the who’s who of the Marvel universe with everyone from Robert Downey Jr. and Tom Holland to Chris Pratt and Karen Gillan featuring. The casting bill alone is going to be in its tens of millions, so the budget for the whole production has got to be one of the biggest in the history of cinema.
UK release date
Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 has been slated for a UK release date of the 27th April 2018, which will be just three years after Age Of Ultron hit the big screen. It’s due to come out in the UK on the same date as its scheduled arrival in the US, so we could see things moving around as we get closer to the release date. There are currently no other films planned for the same weekend in the UK, but that’s bound to change, so we’ll keep you updated.
The plot is a simple story of one man’s dream to unite all of the most powerful objects in the universe, bend them to his will and claim dominion over all of us using their incredible power. That wide-eyed daydreamer is none other than Thanos and if he’s ever able to bring all of the stones together with his Infinity Gauntlet then he’ll be as omnipotent as Sauron, Lord Voldemort, Kratos and Cthulhu combined.
Luckily, he’ll have a fair few thorns in his side as he goes about his merry plan, with The Guardians Of The Galaxy and The Avengers joining forces to get in his seemingly unstoppable way. From the look of the leaked trailer, things don’t really go easy for the two superhero teams and with the story being split into two we’re expecting it to be pretty dark for them by the end of the opening film.
The Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1 cast list is one of the longest we’ve ever written, so you might want to get yourself a cup of tea and settle in for the run through of who’s who.
The Avengers and team affiliates cast list:
- Robert Downey Jr. (Spider-Man: Homecoming) as Tony Star / Iron Man
- Chris Evans (Captain America: Civil War) as Steve Rogers / Captain America
- Chris Hemsworth (Thor: Ragnarok) as Thor
- Mark Ruffalo (Thor: Ragnarok) as Dr. Bruce Banner / The Incredible Hulk
- Scarlett Johannson (Ghost In The Shell) as Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
- Benedict Cumberbatch (Doctor Strange) as Stephen Strange / Doctor Strange
- Tom Holland (Spider-Man: Homecoming) as Peter Parker / Spider-Man
- Paul Bettany (Legend) as Vision
- Samuel L. Jackson (The Incredibles 2) as Nick Fury
- Paul Rudd (Ant-Man And The Wasp) as Scott Lang / Ant-Man
- Don Cheadle (The Guard) as James “Rhodey” Rhodes / War Machine
- Sebastian Stan (Logan Lucky) as Bucky Barnes / The Winter Soldier
- Elizabeth Olsen (Godzilla) as Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch
- Jeremy Renner (Arrival) as Clint Barton / Hawkeye
- Anthony Mackie (Detroit) as Sam Wilson / Falcon
- Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther) as T’Challa / Black Panther
Guardians Of The Galaxy and team affiliates cast list:
- Chris Pratt (Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom) as Peter Quill / Starlord
- Bradley Cooper (Guardians Of The Galaxy 2) as Rocket
- Zoe Saldana (Star Trek Beyond) as Gamora
- Dave Bautista (Blade Runner 2049) as Drax
- Vin Diesel (The Last Witch Hunter) as Groot
- Pom Klementieff (Oldboy) as Mantis
The darker side of the cast list:
- Josh Brolin (Oldboy) as Thanos
- Tom Hiddleston (Thor: Ragnarok) as Loki
Anthony and Joe Russo are directing the film with Kevin Feige doing his usual stint as the producer of yet another huge Marvel superhero film. Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely are down to write both Part 1 and 2, following their previous work on all three of the Captain America films.
There are some big names attached to Avengers: Infinity War – Part 1, not least of all Josh Brolin, who carries the weight of both films on his shoulders. He’s a great actor and what we’ve seen in the leaked trailer is fairly strong, but visually it’s all CGI, which doesn’t always translate so well. Fingers crossed that isn’t the case here.
What Logan taught us earlier in 2017 is that a superhero film doesn’t need to be big budget, big name cast and loaded with epic special effects to be admired. Infinity War is undoubtedly going to be all of those this, but if there’s similar intensity, heart, character development and great plot then it will be hard to fault.