Welsh indie pop dance floor filler, Los Campesinos!, is on the cusp of making a return with its sixth studio album, Sick Scenes. Having had a little over ten years on the hop, it’s good to see the seven piece, led by Gareth Campesinos!, back on their pogo sticks.
To kick off the launch of the new album, they’re planning a UK and US tour to show off the fancy new material and blast out some of their past gold. They’re starting out with three weeks in February and early March in the States, before heading back to the UK for eight dates on their magical dragon breath powered tour.
Album release date
Sick Scenes will be available to buy on 12″ vinyl, CD and digital download with a release date of the 24th February 2017 worldwide. All formats are available to pre-order and there are a few cool t-shirt, notebook and badge bundles available on the Los Campersinos! store.
To get us all in a you, me, dancing frame of mind, there are two singles out already with lead track, I Broke Up In Amarante, picking up some decent radio play tallies. It’s an alt rock burner with an indie pop chorus, setting things up well for a solid album release. There’s also the calmer 5 Flucloxacillin, which sounds a little more like Los Campasinos! of the past, but with a wheedlling guitar riff interjection and a building close.
I Broke Up In Amarante music stream:
Sick Scenes tracklist:
- Renato Dall’Ara (2008)
- Sad Suppers
- I Broke Up In Amarante
- A Slow, Slow Death
- The Fall Of Home
- 5 Flucloxacillin
- Here’s To The Fourth Time!
- For Whom The Belly Tolls
- Got Stendhal’s
- A Litany/Heart Swells
- Hung Empty
You’ll have to wait until April to see the band live in the UK. Los Campesinos! is tying in the album launch with its US tour, so it’ll be capped with a gig in LA – the fancy flunts – on the 25th February 2017.
North America tour dates:
- 20th February – Seattle, Washington – The Neptune Theatre
- 21st February – Vancouver, Canada – The Imperial
- 22nd February – Portland, Oregon – Doug Fir Lounge
- 25th February – Los Angeles, California – The Teragram Ballroom
- 1st March – Minneapolis, Minnesota – Triple Rock Social Club
- 2nd March – Chicago, Illinois – Metro
- 3rd March – Detroit, Michigan – El Club
- 4th March – Cleveland, Ohio – Grog Shop
- 5th March – Toronto, Canada – Velvet Underground
- 6th March – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Rex Theatre
- 8th March – Philadelphia, Pennsylvania – Theatre Of Living Arts
- 9th March – Washington, DC – 9:30 Club
- 10th March – Brooklyn, New York – Warsaw
- 11th March – Boston, Massachusetts – Paradise Rock Club
UK tour dates:
- 27th April – Liverpool – Arts Centre
- 28th April – Glasgow – Stereo
- 29th April – Sheffield – Queens Social Club
- 30th April – Newcastle – The Cluny
- 1st May – London – Koko
- 5th May – Brighton – The Haunt
- 6th May – Norwich – Arts Centre
- 7th May – Birmingham – Hare & Hounds
Indie pop hit songs are much easier to come by than hit albums and that’s been true of Los Campesinos! records in the past. If you look at Sick Scenes from that point of view, it may only have a few knee knockers in and among more skipped beats. However, the first two singles out are pretty good signs that this is a slightly different creation.